553rd Combat Sustainment Support Battalion
The 553rd Combat Sustainment Support Battalion (Gunslingers) was first constituted on 23 February 1943 in the United States Army as the 553rd Quartermaster Service Battalion and was activated on 25 June 1943 at Camp Ellis, Illinois. The battalion was broken up on 20 September 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 553rd Quartermaster Battalion. Companies A, B, C, and D were reorganized and redesignated as the 3188th, 3189th, 3190th, and 3191st Quartermaster Service Companies, respectively and thereafter had separate lineages. Headquarters Detachment, 553rd Quartermaster Battalion was inactivated on 11 November 1945 at Fort Francis E. Warren, Wyoming.
The unit was redesignated on 10 January 1967 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 553rd Supply and Service Battalion and allotted to the Regular Army. It activated on 1 March 1967 at Fort Hood, Texas
The battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 16 September 1982 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 553rd Supply and Service Battalion.
In Southwest Asia, as part of 101st Corps Support Group, 1st Corps Support Command, the battalion participated in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm in 1990-1991. They were awarded campaign participation credit for the Defense of Saudi Arabia and the Liberation and Defense of Kuwait campaigns.
On 16 October 1993 the battalion was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 553rd Support Battalion. The mission of the battalion was to, on order, deploy by land, sea, and air; occupy marshaling areas; organize for combat and operate as multi-functional corps support battalion; arm, fix, fuel, move, and sustain units. It would then, on order, redeploy to home station. The battalion supported Joint Task Force 160 in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and the humanitarian efforts during Operation Restore Hope in Somalia.
After the events of 11 September 2001, the battalion deployed elements in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. As part of the transformation of the U.S. Army to a modular force structure, the unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 October 2006 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 553rd Combat Sustainment Support Battalion (CSSB). The battalion, which had previously been part of the 64th Corps Support Group, was realigned under the 4th Sustainment Brigade at Fort Hood, Texas. On 22 June 2015, the 553rd CSSB was realigned under the 1st Cavalry Division and the 1st Cavalry Division Sustainment Brigade.
On19 July 2016, the battalion cased its colors in preparation for its deployment to the ARCENT area of operations.