The Foundation of the 1st Cavalry Division Association
Ia Drang Scholarships Background
The Foundation administers a separate program for the children and grandchildren of Soldiers who served in designated qualifying units that were involved in the battles of the Ia Drang Valley during the period 3 through 19 November 1965.
The Ia Drang Scholarship Fund was founded in 1994 by LTG (Ret) Harold G. Moore and Joseph L. Galloway from earnings on their book We Were Soldiers Once–And Young. Other donors to the fund are readers of the book from across America, Veterans, and supporters of the fund.
In early 1994 the Board of Governors of the 1st Cavalry Division Association agreed to expand the activities of the Foundation of the 1st Cavalry Division Association to include the Ia Drang Scholarship Program. A new eligibility sub-paragraph was included in its instructions to the Trustees. It reads as follows: “to provide financial assistance in the form of scholarship grants toward the pursuit of an advanced education for descendants of Soldiers who served in designated qualifying units which were involved in the battles of the Ia Drang valley during the period 3 through 19 November, 1965. The source of funding for these scholarship grants is to be derived solely from contributions specifically designated for this element of the trust program by the donor and not in competition with other elements of the program”. The fund has now grown to the point where scholarship grants can be awarded.
Children (including legally adopted) and grandchildren of Ia Drang Valley battlefield combat Veterans of designated qualifying units (ground and air) which were involved in the battles of the Ia Drang valley during the period 3 through 19 November 1965. Children and grandchildren of men who were assigned to a unit that fought in the Ia Drang battles but were themselves at An Khe base camp, at Pleiku/Camp Holloway, at Catecka, in a hospital, etc. and not in the Ia Drang battles are not eligible for award of scholarship grants.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to determine whether his/her father/grandfather served in battle in at least one of the qualifying units in at least one of the specific battle locations and provide proof thereof. Proof must include at least birth certificate(s) or legal adoption certificate(s) showing father or grandfather’s chain of relationship to the applicant, a copy of the Ia Drang Battle survivor’s DD Form 214 and positive evidence of the battle survivor’s assignment to a qualifying unit during a specified battle.
Such evidence may include citations for awards earned in the battles, signed statements from battlefield leader(s), extracts of official personnel records, copies of morning reports, copies of articles about the specific battles naming sponsor, extracts from books which name sponsor as a battle participant and/or copies of letters to Family/friends about the specific battles. Male recipients must provide proof of registration with the Selective Service System if 18 years of age.
Qualifying Units and Specific Battle Locations: (Includes)
- 1-7th Cav, LZ X-Ray, 14-16 November.
- 2-7th Cav (-), LZ X-Ray 16-17 November LZ Albany 17-19 November.
- 3rd Platoon, A Company. 2-7th Cav, LZ X-Ray 15-16 November.
- 1-5th Cav (-), LZ Columbus 18 November (Note: LZ Columbus and LZ Cavalair are the same
- A Company 1-5th Cav, LZ Columbus 18 November, LZ X-Ray 16-17 Nov, LZ Albany 17-18
- B Company 1-5th Cav, LZ Columbus 18 Nov, LZ Albany 17-18 November.
- 2-5th Cav, LZ X-Ray 15-17 November.
- Elements of 1-7th Cav, 2-7th Cav, 1-5th Cav and 2-5th Cav, LZ Falcon 14-18 November.
- A Co. 1-8th Cav, LZ Mary 3-4 November, (1-9th Cav ambush).
- Elements of A, C, D Companies, Mortar Section, and Battalion Command Group of 2-8th Cav,
vicinity of ZA965055 2-1/2 Km Northwest of LZ Cavalair 4 November.
- Elements of 1-9th Cav in ambush vicinity LZ Mary, 3-4 November.
- Elements of 1-9th Cav which supported at LZ X-Ray, LZ Albany, LZ Mary, LZ Columbus, LZ
Falcon or in the 4 November action of 2-8th Cav Northwest of LZ Cavalair.
- Artillery FOs and FSCs, Army Aviation Pathfinder Teams, Battalion Surgeons, Platoon Aidmen,
Litter Bearers, Battalion Aid Station Personnel, Chaplains and Chaplains Assistants who were on
the ground during the 14-18 November fighting at LZ X-Ray, LZ Albany, LZ Columbus, LZ
Falcon, the 3-4 November fighting at LZ Mary or in the 4 November action of 2-8th Cav 2-1/2
km NW of LZ Cavalair.
- C Battery 2-17th FA at LZ Columbus 15-17 November.
- A Battery 2-19th FA in 2-8th Cav action 2-1/2 km NW of LZ Cavalair.
- C Battery 2-20 FA in actions at LZ X-Ray, LZ Albany and LZ Columbus 14-18 November.
- Elements of A Battery 2-20 FA in the 2-8 Cav action 2-1/2 km NW of Cavalair 4 November and 1-
9 Cav ambush at LZ Mary 3-4 November.
- A, B and C Batteries and elements of HHB 1-21st FA at LZ Falcon, LZ Columbus 14-18
- 3rd Brigade Aviation Section, 228th Assault Support Helicopter Battalion and 229 Assault
Helicopter Battalion flight crews who flew support missions into LZ X-Ray, LZ Albany, LZ
Falcon and LZ Columbus 14-18 November.
- 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion flight crews who flew support missions in the 2-8 Cav action 2-
1/2 km NW of LZ Cavalair 4 November.
- 2-8 Cav Command Helicopter flight crew and passengers who landed in the battle area of 2-8 Cav
in the action 2-1/2 km NW of LZ Cavalair 4 November.
- MEDEVAC flight crews who evacuated wounded and dead during the actual fighting from LZ XRay,
LZ Albany, LZ Columbus, LZ Falcon 14-18 November or LZ Mary 3-4 November or the 2-
8 Cav action 2-1/2 km NW of LZ Cavalair 4 November.
- Elements of the 8th Engineer Battalion that supported Infantry, Cavalry or Artillery units at LZ XRay,
LZ Albany, LZ Columbus and LZ Falcon 14-18 November, or 2-8 Cav during the action 2-
1/2 km NW of LZ Cavalair 4 November, or 1-9 Cav during the ambush vic LZ Mary 3-4
- Army Photo and Movie Teams and War Correspondents who were on the ground during the actual
fighting at LZ X-Ray, LZ Albany, LZ Columbus, LZ Falcon 14-18 November or LZ Mary 3-4
November or the 2-8 Cav action 2-1/2 km NW of LZ Cavalair 4 November.
- Higher Commanders and Staff personnel of 1st Cavalry Division, 3rd Brigade, Division Artillery,
11th Aviation Group and other higher Headquarters who in the performance of their duties had
occasion to be on the ground during the actual fighting at LZ X-Ray, LZ Albany, LZ Columbus,
LZ Falcon 14-18 November or LZ Mary 3-4 November or the 2-8 Cav action 2-1/2 km NW of
LZ Cavalair 4 November.
- U.S. Air Force A-1E pilots of the 1st and 602nd Air commando Squadrons. who flew close air
support missions at LZ X-Ray, LZ Albany, LZ Mary, LZ Columbus or the 4 November action of
2-8th Cav Northwest of LZ Cavalair.
- U.S. Air Force FAC Teams who participated in the actions at LZ X-Ray, LZ Albany, LZ Mary, LZ
Columbus or the 4 November action of 2-8th Cav 2-1/2 km NW of LZ Cavalair.
For more information or an application to register for benefits use our on-line Registration Form below, fill it out completely, and attach all of the required supporting documentation to the Foundation of the 1st Cavalry Division Association.
Alternatively, you may send a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope (SASE) to the Foundation of the 1st Cavalry Division Association, 302 N. Main St., Copperas Cove, TX 76522-1703.
The application forms for Association members who are active duty Troopers currently serving with the First Team and their Families is open. You can get the information about this program at Active Duty Overview. Printed forms are available at the National Headquarters in Copperas Cove and at the Crossed Sabers Chapter Souvenir Shop in the 1st Cavalry Division Museum at Fort Hood, Texas.
Highlights - CTA
Ghosts of Fallujah
Ghosts of Fallujah (written by Coley D. Tyler) is a first person account of the Second Battalion, Seventh Cavalry’s participation in the Second Battle of Fallujah, the largest single engagement of the Iraq War and the largest urban battle since Hue in 1968. A First Marine Division operation, it was spearheaded by one of the […]
Public Request for Division Assets (Band/Horse Cav Detachment/Honor Guard)
Need to request a Division asset: the Band, Horse CAV Detachment, or Honor Guard? Fill out the provided DD Form 2536 and email it to: SFC Kristin M. Chandler at email@example.com. If you have any questions about filling out the form call SFC Chandler at 254-288-2601. DD2536 Asset Request Form